When Ota Doukan built Edo Castle in 1457, he ordered his retainer, Kashiwagi Zaemon, to invoke to build the divine spirit of Tsurugaoka Hachiman Shrine in Kamakura, and it was rebuilt in 1847. Then it was proclaimed a village shrine in November 1872. As time passed, the current shrine building was completed in 1959. In 1892, it merged with Inari Shrine, which was located in Aza-Yotsuwari in the old village.
In addition to the Tenso Shrine, Ontake Shrine, and Inari Shrine, there is also the Ancestral Shrine, which enshrines people who have contributed to the shrine. In 1977, when the precinct area was renovated with the construction of a new terminal shrine, the "shrine name sign" of Hachiman Shrine was erected on the right side of the Torii gate. In front of the shrine, there is a pair of lanterns inscribed with the words “1828, Shimotakaido inn, Tama-gun, Bushu”, and in the precinct area, there is a monument to General Maresuke Nogi. In addition, many shrine parishioners have consecrated Torii gates, guardian dogs, lanterns, and water fountains.
The priest back to the four generations, Mr. Moritaka Saito, was the original master of Kagura, whose stage name was Nakamura Nuinosuke, and the "mask play" was introduced from ancient times. Although the mask play disappeared around 1935 and today, only the masks of the mask play remain, in recent years, the precincts of the shrine have been used as filming locations for many dramas and other events, and the connection with the art has continued to grow.
Enshrined deity Emperor Oujin
Annual festival Sunday, 4th week of September